As a parent, you know that if your kids did the weekly meal planning, three things would be true:
- You’d finally have extra time to finally get to watch the new Queer Eye.
- Y’all would be eating chicken finders, cheese pizza, or Mac n’ Cheese for dinner every night.
- You’d still end up doing the dishes.
Kids know what’s up. Unfortunately, as a parent you’re responsible their health, which puts a bit of a wrench in their master plan to exclusively live on carbs and saturated fat.
Ok, so one thing your parent friends, who begged you to join their procreation club, rudely never mentioned is how freaking hard it is to find meals that your kids will actually eat, and you can feel good about (stealing bites).
Enter your new parental lord and savior: THE AIR FRYER. ::cue angels::
Yes, you heard (read?) that right. A fryer that uses air to make all the kid-friendly food you want that’s healthier and MUCH quicker. But, we won’t burden the kiddos with all the reasons why you’ll want to propose marriage to a countertop appliance. We’ll let them focus on the fact there’s nuggos for din din again.
Best part is, it’s super easy to
put your kids to work involve the kids and teach them the joy of cooking from semi-scratch.
Let’s make it easy. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Chicken breasts cut into strips or pre-portioned chicken breast tenders
- 2 eggs beaten to create an egg wash
- A handful or two of flour for dusting
- As much breadcrumbs (they even make them gluten free now!) as you want
- Salt, pepper, and garlic salt
- High heat cooking spray
*(Honestly, print this out and stick it on the fridge) *
- Pour flour onto a plate or shallow bowl
- Pour breadcrumbs and seasoning into a separate bowl mixed with your desired seasoning.
- Add egg wash to a third bowl and place it between the flour and breadcrumbs
- Prepare chicken breast
- Dip chicken strips into the flour, coating both sides.
- Shake off any excess flour
- Dip floured chicken into the egg wash, coating it well
- Press the chicken into the breadcrumbs, covering both sides completely
- Place the chicken strip on a plate to the side and repeat the process with the remaining chicken
- Spray both sides of your chicken strips with a light coating of cooking spray
- Remove the basket from the air fryer and lay the chicken strips in a single layer on the bottom of the wire rack
- Place the basket back into the machine
- Set temperature to 400 degrees
- Let chicken strips cook for 10 minutes, flipping at the halfway point
- When the timer dings, put the chicken on a plate to cool.
- Choose your favorite dipping sauces
Easy peasy. But, we know children cannot grow adequately on chicken strips alone, which is why you can totally make delicious kid-approved veggies in the air fryer too, like sweet potato fries and crispy Brussel sprouts.
Can we get an “AMEN?”
You might even have the time and energy to stay away enough for half of an episode of something.